Table of Contents
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This blog post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission but you will not be charged extra cost more. For more information, please visit my Disclaimer Page. Thank you in advance!
Hey, there! This is a complete fashion resource about women’s fashion throughout the decades and 2020’s fashion predictions. So what is fashion?
Fashion is all about being yourself. It is an art to express your personality through the beautiful garments that you can wear. I am not universally good at styling myself based on every fashion trend. However, I believe that dressing up well plays a huge role in giving out a good impression upon others. In this post, I would like to take you through the world of fashion. On top of that, we will see what will 2020s fashion look like.
Definition of Fashion
According to Collins Dictionary, fashion is a style of clothing or a way of behaving that is popular at a particular time.
On the other hand, Susan B. Kaiser in her fashion and cultural studies has stated that fashion is a popular aesthetic expression in a certain time and context, especially in clothing, footwear, lifestyle, accessories, makeup, hairstyle, and body proportions.
What is Fashion About (Really)
First of all, fashion is all about you! It goes in your life. As time grows, you grow too. So does fashion! That is why you could see many types of fashion evolving through eras. There is a huge craze among teenagers too. The enormous reason for this is due to the various cultures and marketing trends that affect you as the end-user.
Did you know that the first person to invent fashion was Charles Frederick Worth? Originated in the 19th century, Charles Frederick Worth from 1858 was the leading designer to have his label stitched into the garments that he designed.
Best known through commercial reasons, people start chasing the latest fashion to get into a stylish figure. However, on a more personal side, fashion is simply an individual identity. Here are a few points that define “fashion”.
- Fashion is your attitude
The way you present yourself outside of your home is entirely your effort and determination.
- Fashion means evolution
This world is on constant progress and it is up to us to keep updated with the trend
- Fashion is a form of cultural expression
Similarly, every culture has its own fashion haven. Moreover, being a cultural person often determines your personality to people. For example, if you are wearing a sari or cheongsam, one could easily identify that you are from Asia.
Discovering about Fashion Quotes from Fashion Icons
Everyday is a fashion show and the world is your runway.-Coco Chanel
Fashion is the armor to survive the reality of everyday life.–Bill Cunningham
“You can never take too much care over the choice of your shoes. Too many women think that they are unimportant, but the real proof of an elegant woman is what is on her feet.”—Christian Dior
“Fashion is very important. It is life-enhancing and, like everything that gives pleasure, it is worth doing well.”—Vivienne Westwood
“Style is the only thing you can’t buy. It’s not in a shopping bag, a label, or a price tag. It’s something reflected from our soul to the outside world—an emotion.”—Alber Elbaz
“Being well dressed hasn’t much to do with having good clothes. It’s a question of good balance and good common sense.”—Oscar de la Renta
“Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves, and of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys, they’d just walk around naked at all times.”—Betsey Johnson
“I want people to see the dress, but focus on the woman.”—Vera Wang
“Playing dress-up begins at age five and never truly ends.”—Kate Spade
“Elegance is not standing out, but being remembered.”—Giorgio Armani
In conclusion, many individuals have their own idea about the term “fashion”. It is up to us to perceive the trend world the way we want.
Women’s Fashion throughout the Decades
When I made my research on this topic, I was so amazed by fashion throughout the decades, especially by women. Dan Rookwood, formerly US editor of the menswear site Mr. Porter, said that “Men’s fashion changes more slowly than women’s fashion“. True by his words, women’s trend keeps evolving by every era. Let’s see-through all the women’s fashion from the 1900s to 2020s.
The 1900s :
- S-bend corset
- Puffed and frilly blouses
- Skirts hung over the hip and fluted towards the border
- Decorations like lace collars and broad ribbon ties embellished on the dresses.
- Broad-brim hats with low tops
The 1910s :
- Hobble skirt
- Full, hip-length “lampshade” tunics were worn over narrow, draped skirts
- A variety of corsets were available for women which served with different functions. Women began to remove their corsets due to being active in social lifestyle.
- Large hats with a broad brim gradually shrank into smaller hats with flat brims
The 1920s :
- A young generation is known as “flappers” starts wearing skirts at knee length which was considered short at that time with neutral stockings and colorful garters.
- Jewelry was outstanding, with ornately beaded patterns and feathered accessories
- Sometimes, with large brooches and a long string of pearls
- Women bobbed their hair to wear under the cloche hats
The 1930s :
- Introduction of bias-cut to gowns which made the fabric to float over the body’s curves. Madeleine Vionnet was an early innovator of the bias-cut
- New inventions such as zip were introduced to make garments easier and cheaper.
- As Hollywood gained its popularity, animal prints, satin, and evening dresses also became famous.
- Man-made fibers, such as rayon for dresses and viscose for linings and lingerie, and synthetic nylon stockings was a huge widespread in that era.
- Suntans or sunburns became fashionable along with traveling to countries where one could attain tan.
- Fox fur collars and stoles became famous with slouched hats and knitted berets.
- Gloves such as elbow-length gloves and opera-length gloves were very important at that time.
The 1940s :
- Everything became less in this era. Clothes were made with fewer buttons, pleats, and no trimmings. Dresses and skirts became shorter. The padded shoulder was introduced too.
- Peep toes and T-straps shoes became fashionable to save leather instead.
- The two-piece bikini was increasing its popularity
- Draped turbans were representing the working women at that time.
The 1950s :
- Once the war has ended, people started to invent new designs especially Dior with “sheath dress“.
- Tailored tweed dresses, ankle-length evening dresses, and small daytime hats with jewels and fur trimming gave the new “American Look”
- Waist-length cardigans were one of the popular separates.
- Hats like small pill-box-style or wide brim saucer hats also became fashionable.
- Silk, satin, and chiffon were popular this year as it influenced by Asian designers.
The 1960s :
- Mini skirts became predominant in this era, especially among young teenagers.
- Mary Quant popularized the mini skirt, and Jackie Kennedy introduced the pillbox hat.
- Different length of hairstyles and false eyelashes and pale face foundation
- Psychedelic prints, neon colors, and mismatched patterns
- Hippie movement brought designs such as bell-bottom jeans, tie-dye, and batik fabrics, as well as paisley prints.
The 1970s :
- Trends from the 1960s introduced platform heels, satin, glitter, and bright colors.
- Synthetic clothes began flooding the market.
- Types of women’s fashion in this era were hippie look, glamour, casual looks, activewear, tailored styles, disco look, relaxed look, one-piece swimsuits, and the pantsuits.
- Women and teenage girls wore their hair long, with a center or side parting
- Makeup was preferred light and natural during the daytime and in the evening, sexualized glamour.
The 1980s :
- This era reflected women upon having great wealth and success through expensive clothes and jewelry.
- Hair in the 1980s was typically big, curly, bouffant and heavily styled.
- The punk trend began against the hippie trend.
- Makeup was heavy and bright, consisted of light-colored lips, dark and thick eyelashes, and pink or red blush.
- Types of fashion during this era were minimalism, aerobics craze, professional fashion, bright-colored clothing, power dressing, consumer-friendly fashions, and Asian fashions.
- Unisex accessories such as jewelry, watches, and eyewear.
- Perming the hairstyle had come into the trend too.
The 1990s :
- This era focuses more on minimalism fashion though tattoos, body piercings, aside from ear piercing were famous.
- The popularization of the casual chic look that included T-shirts, jeans, hoodies, and sneakers.
- High fashion, neon colors, leggings, exercise-wear, grunge, glamour wear, workwear, Asian influences, and the 1970s revival were the types of fashion that predominated the 1980s.
- Hairstyles were styled in bangs, ponytails with scrunchies and bob hair cut.
The 2000s :
- Globalization influenced this era with hip hop trends being popular among young adults.
- Coming into rising at the fashion society was the Y2K fashion, casual chic, 1980s revival, the “it” items, revival of 1960s, military influences, African clothing, eastern vogue, and activist chic.
- The hairstyle was straight and long with zig-zag parting.
- Stylish accessories were bandanas, sunnies, and tiered necklaces.
- Bohemian style was trending too with many crochets, maxi skirts, prints, and colorful clothes.
- Logos were printed in almost all types of clothes especially purse.
The 2010s :
- Global clothing brands ruled this era especially brands like Forever 21, Fashion Nova, Topshop, Topman, Uniqlo, Supreme, Christian Dior, H&M, Burberry, and many more.
- Fashion trends made a comeback from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s with little influence from eastern fashion in 2010s.
- In the mid-2010s, monochromatic clothing, prints, hipster, onesies, snuggies and costume jewelry came to rise.
- Hairstyle opted in this era were straight, long, wearing hair extensions, volumized curly hair, pixie cut, and cornrows.
What Will 2020s Fashion Be Like (2020 Fashion Predictions)
After looking through a whole century of the fashionable world till the 2020s, I realized that fashion trends were influenced by movies, celebrities, weather, artistic searches, political, economic, cultural and technology. Vogue trends often change even for a day. By looking into these factors, fashion forecasters examine clothing trends growth every year. Let’s see what are the 2020s fashion forecast or predictions below.
2020 will see an enormous global recognition fostered in fashion. Recycled materials and sustainably grown fiber crops are used in sustainable clothing. Otherwise, shopping from thrift shops, or swapping clothes with others are also considered as the environmental approach in this fashion area. This trend is also known as slow fashion which means wearing a piece of clothing for a very long time. You mend the clothing if it breaks instead of tossing it away. In this way, it helps the environment to be a better place to live and improves the garment factories’ workers’ sustenance.
Just as the name itself, minimalism is all about less. That means less consumption of clothing. Regularly, we only wear 20% of the clothes we own inside of that wardrobe. The rest is just plain of waste and collecting dust. Therefore, being a minimalist person means owning only the clothes that fit our lifestyle and of course pieces of expensive clothing that last for a long time.
3. Everyday Fashion
Everyday fashion usually involves a lot of comfort in lifestyle. Those were the days when women suffer to look attractive in their garments. Now, comfort is the number one priority. On top of that, feminine clothes such as wrap dresses and knitted skirts are back again. Athleisure outfits that were in trend during 2019 will most probably continue into 2020. For example, biker shorts, combined with a blazer and sneakers. Clothing colors that might take off would be pastel or bright colors. Everyday fashion style may differ in other countries depending on its climate and environment.
4. Street Fashion Style
Neon colors will make a huge comeback into this era. Stylists and designers are preparing to introduce bright neon colors into their attire designs especially for the spring and summer season. Furthermore, a revival back from the 1980s and 2000s such as sequins, oversized trench coats, and bold colors will be seen in 2020s fashion. Trans-seasonal garments which simply means layering will play an impact on being a sustainable solution in the dressing trends.
I hope you have enjoyed this article. It is really good to skim through this world and keep up with the trends. Please share my article on social media with your friends and family.
Until next week!